- (for eight decorations and eight invitations)
- 4 pieces of off-white card stock (or 4 manila folders)
- 2 sheets of gold card stock
- 2 sheets of lavender card stock
- 2 sheets of purple card stock
- 4 sheets of off-white poster board
- 2 sheets of gold poster board
- 2 sheets of purple poster board
- 2 sheets of lavender poster board
- 16 1-inch doll eyes
- 16 2-inch doll eyes
- 8 small red buttons
- 8 larger red buttons
- Several yards of gold yarn
- White glue
- Black pen
- Red marker
- Purple marker
- Paper punch
Nothing says celebration like a smiling clown's face, and, fortunately, clown designs are easy to create. In addition, these clown decorations and invitations are made from the same pattern, simply by using a smaller piece of card stock (or manila folders) for the invite and larger pieces of poster board for the hanging decorations. You can use any colors your child likes, but creating the huge clown faces in a variety of colors is especially festive. At the end of the party, you can take down the big decorations and send them home with kids as a special favor.
How to Make Decorations and Invitations for a Kid's Birthday Party
Use a photo as a pattern to cut out invitations and decorations from off-white card stock and poster board. Cut two patterns for each. At its widest point, the invitation is 6 ½ inches and it is approximately 7 inches tall. The decorations will be approximately 12 by 15 inches or larger depending on the size of your poster board.
Use one pattern to cut apart so you will have a pattern for the hair and the collars. Use the other pattern to make the background for the invitations and decorations.
Cut hair out of gold card stock. Glue to top of clown.
Cut collars out of lavender and purple card stock. Glue onto clown.
Glue doll eyes and a button nose to the clown face.
Draw on eyebrows with a purple marker and a smile with a red marker.
Print "Come Clown Around" with purple marker on the clown's hair.
Print birthday information on the clown's collar using a black pen. Any additional information can be printed on the back of the invitation.
Punch holes near the top of the large clown decorations. String with gold thread and hang from the ceiling.
TIPS AND WARNINGS
- TIP : Matching colored helium balloons would be the perfect addition to these decorations.
- WARNING : Children under the age of 3 should not be allowed to have these cards because of the small buttons and eyes that could be swallowed.